IMAGE COURTESY OF GRAUR RAZVAN IONUT. TAKEN FROM “FREEDIGITALPHOTOS.NET”
LEED Accreditation used to be a single tired process till July’09 . From August’09 onwards, it has become a two tiered process. In the first step, the aspirant (you) has to clear an exam called LEED Green Associate (GA), which will serve as a platform to demonstrate the understanding of basic concepts involved in building a sustainable facility. And in the second step you have to clear the LEED AP examination to earn the LEED Accredited Professional credential. In this section, we will concentrate only on LEED GA. Details on LEED AP preparation would be covered in future articles.
To appear for LEED GA exam, you must demonstrate experience in a LEED certified project or sustainable field of work or should take a course addressing green building principles. For detailed information on how to qualify for LEED GA examination, please refer the article “LEED GA-Eligibility”. Once, these requirements are met, you are all set to appear for the exam.
What now? How to overcome the next hurdle, EXAM? Here is the Answer… A thoughtful study plan, a good collection of study materials, knowledge of all available online resources and last but not the least, a dedicated effort. That’s all you need to take home the credential, LEED GA…!
Always remember…”Information is Wealth…!” Knowing what we need to know is an important step before actually start knowing things. In this section, we have tried to help you pass through this important step. Below are some of the materials and resources which we believe are some of the best materials available in the industry. All materials are available free of cost except, USGBC’s study guide.
- LEED Green Associate Candidate Handbook
- Official Handbook. Free to download
- Covers basic guidelines about the exam. A must read for all aspirants. (Note: links are subject to change, so keep checking for the latest available link for the handbook)
- Green Associate Study Guide with Green Building & LEED Core Concepts Guide
- Official USGBC study guide for LEED GA preparation. Get hold of a copy. (Find it under Study Guide section).
- Has some sample exam questions.
- LEED Green Associate Study Guide from Studio4
- Free Study material (8mb file, may take some time to download)
- Information can be clumsy, at places superfluous.(Read, may not be necessary for LEED GA prep.)
- Good Study material to get a ‘feel’ before buying the official study guide.
- To be followed with discretion.
Besides, official study guide, there are few supplementary materials which would help you to know some miscellaneous concepts and ideas, which GBCI would expect you to know as a LEED GA aspirant. Following are some links which would help you in learning those supplementary materials.
- The Treatment by LEED of the Environmental Impact of HVAC Refrigerants.
- Read and understand up to Page-5.
- Innovation in Design Credit Catalog
- An excellent guide. A must read.
- Sustainable Building Technical Manual
- Read and understand all guidelines and strategies discussed. Leave out all memory based numerical/stats/figures etc.
- Guide to Purchasing Green Power
- Read and understand first three chapters.
- Learn and understand all terms under Glossary section.
If you need more information regarding LEED GA or LEED AP examination, you can browse through USGBC’s website by following this link.